Tips to Finding Senior Care and Housing that Fits.
It’s human nature to take the time to find the right fit. You don’t just try on one pair of jeans, test drive one car or tour just one house; you tirelessly explore all your options until you find the one. Why would you do anything less? It’s hard to truly enjoy something or to be comfortable when it doesn’t quite suit you.
So why then, do people so often put off thinking about something as important as senior care and housing until a crisis happens? Perhaps they don’t know where to start. Perhaps it makes aging seem more real. Or, perhaps that old stereotype of ‘the home’ scares you off.
Regardless, there are many benefits to taking the time to plan and taking control of the future you or your loved one deserve. It’s simple, do the due diligence now and you’ll reap the many rewards of senior living later. And who knows, you may find yourself asking why didn’t I do this sooner?
It’s time for a new perspective on senior living as ‘the home’ of yesterday is no more. Now older adults have a continuum of senior care and housing options designed to help you age successfully.
- Independent Living – a lifestyle choice for older adults who require little daily assistance, but seek a vibrant social community free of the hassles of chores and home upkeep.
- Assisted Living – a lifestyle that provides housing, personalized care and support with activities of daily living to help you remain independent and enjoy an engaging, purposeful life.
- Memory Care – specifically designed care to nurture and support those with Alzheimer’s and dementia with 24-hour supervision, structured activities and a secure, calming environment that’s easy to navigate.
- Skilled Nursing – for older adults who require 24-hour supervised care with a licensed physician or nurse, as well as physical, speech and occupational therapists onsite.
- Hospice – Combines pain control, symptom management and emotional and spiritual support for terminally ill individuals and supports the family as well with assistance available around the clock.
Not sure which lifestyle is the best fit?
Take the Roobrik assessment to get valuable insights.
Where to Start
This lifestyle choice is designed for adults over the age of 55 who don’t require much daily assistance, but do want to enjoy a vibrant social community free of the hassles of chores and home upkeep. Independent living communities typically include apartments, townhouses or even single-family homes.
Once you understand your options it’s important to take some time to honestly assess where things stand for you or your loved one right now.
You should consider:
- Current health concerns
- Social well-being and isolation concerns
- Stress of home maintenance
- Any difficulties in performing daily activities and tasks
Write It Down
Checklists can be key to keeping you on track during this process and to ensure your needs as well as wants are met.
Include in your list:
- Non- negotiables for the family and for the older adult; keep in mind they may be different
- Location preferences
- Your wish list or nice-to-have features, amenities and/or services
Armed with your list and the knowledge you’ve gained so far it’s time to research, research, research. Start within your geographical preferences to narrow your choices. From there, call the senior living communities you’re interested in to get general information. Then request tours of your best options. Include other family members or decision makers in this process. If you’re choosing options for a loved one, as you get closer to the decision make sure to bring them to visit.
What’s the Word
No one knows these senior living communities better than those who’ve had firsthand experience with them. This important, but often overlooked step, can give you a deeper insight than you would get even on a tour. Gather testimonials from trusted advisors, friends, professionals and review websites before making a final decision.
At New Perspectives Senior Living, our mission is to put residents first in everything we do because we believe older adults deserve to Live Life on Purpose and successfully age with dignity. We do this through Four Pillars that are proven to have the highest impact on successful aging: Physical Fitness, Brain Fitness, Social/Spiritual Enrichment and Dining/Nutrition.
We know how helpful it can be to have a trusted, experienced partner through this journey and would welcome the opportunity to be your guide. Let’s start your next chapter together.